Friday, August 2, 2013

Book Review: Born of Illusion

TITLE: Born of Illusion
Book 1 in a series
AUTHOR: Teri Brown
PUBLISHED: June 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical Fantasy
PREMISE: According to her mother, Anna is the illegitimate daughter of Houdini, which would explain the strange powers she possesses...
MY REVIEW: Well, this will probably come as no surprise to any of my regular readers: I loved this. Mostly, it just had a bunch of tropes I love and will read over and over again, no matter what: historical setting (twenties! My favorite! Author, how did you know?), people with powers, family conflict, sassy teen girl just trying to do her thing, and so on. In fact, it reminded me very much of The Diviners. Not as polished as the Diviners, but then Bray has written like five books before The Diviners and this is Brown's first so that's a bit unfair. But still, I was rather impressed by it.
It's a quiet book. The plot is mostly character focused and stuff takes awhile to happen but I promise, it happens and I for one, loved where the author took the ending, even if some of it, I saw coming. There were a few of the usual amateur things in it as well (unnecessary love triangle drama, etc.). But for the most part, this was a strong debut. If you're in the mood for historical fantasy type books, I totally rec this.
WHO SHOULD READ: Gemma Doyle fans, Diviners fans, historical fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment