Monday, August 5, 2013

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars

TITLE: The Fault in Our Stars
AUTHOR: John Green
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Realistic Fiction
PREMISE: Hazel meets Augustus Waters at a cancer survivor support group...
MY REVIEW: Honestly, at this point, there's probably not much I can say about this book that hasn't already been said in the past year and a half or so. Most people have probably read this by now or have made up their minds about whether or not they want to read it or not. I doubt anything I say in this review will impact much of anything.
So good news: I liked it. I see why people like it. I'm looking forward to the movie. I have a feeling Shailene will be perfect. It's quite like The Descendants which is a much better glimpse into her acting ability then Secrets of the American Teenager. I will say, I'm not entirely sure why the literature crowd has latched onto this, because to me, this is usual YA stuff, just a tad more sophisticated in writing style prose. So I don't understand why this gets the thumbs up from them, but the rest of YA gets a sneer when there's a lot of YA that's just as good. But then I don't think I'll ever understand the literature snob crowd and what they deem "okay" to read and what's not okay to read.
So I enjoyed this. I will be reading either Paper Towns or Abundance of Katherines next in my John Green binge. It'll depend on whichever I find first in the store.
WHO SHOULD READ: John Green fans, Gayle Forman fans, Contemporary fiction fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five tissues (you're gonna need them, it's one of those books)



No comments:

Post a Comment