Monday, July 29, 2013

Book Review: Dead Ever After

TITLE: Dead Ever After
Book 13 in the Sookie Stackhouse series
AUTHOR: Charlaine Harris
PUBLISHED: May 2013
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Urban Fantasy, Vampires, Werewolves
PREMISE: Sookie's enemies conspire to destroy her as her life becomes even more difficult.
MY REVIEW: Oh Sookie. You were one of the first series I started when I began this blog (wow, has it been that long? Time flies). You were my first Charlaine Harris book. You were my first foray into the large world of adult urban fantasy (I don't know whether to love you or hate you for that...). As a result of all these firsts, I will forever have a fondness for this series and Sookie herself because Sookie is awesome.
So I'm probably in the minority, where I liked this book and this ending. It brought Sookie full circle. She found a place where she wanted to be and was happy with that. I see all you Eric fans going "but she didn't end up with Eric!" and while I'm sorry for the death of your ship, that pairing was never the point of the Sookie Stackhouse series. Hell, who Sookie ended up with period, was never the point of this series. FANS made it the point of this series because that's what fans do (look at Hunger Games/Harry Potter for example). I get it (I am a multi-shipper, believe me I get it), but I get super annoyed when people act like just because Sookie didn't end up with a/b/c suitor of their choice, that somehow makes it a horrible ending. The point is that Sookie was finally happy with herself and where she was. She's comfortable in her own skin. She's found someone who's willing to accept her as is, human/strange gift and all (did I call the Sam thing or what?). That was the point of this series: Sookie's character growth. Her character grew. She's happy. I'm satisfied.
Honestly the only thing I was upset here about was the Claude thing (not giving it away because spoilers) but that was because I liked Claude and it felt weird to me. But it made for a wrap-up ending so I can't complain too loudly. So I'm satisfied with this ending. I will be looking forward to the wrap-up book and this new Harris series I've been hearing about. Farewell, Sookie, I will miss you.
WHO SHOULD READ: Sookie Stackhouse fans, True Blood fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five tissues because it's over

No comments:

Post a Comment