Saturday, July 20, 2013

Book Review: The Fifth Wave

TITLE: The Fifth Wave
Book 1 in the Fifth Wave series
AUTHOR: Rick Yancey
PUBLISHED: May 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian/Science Fiction
PREMISE: Cassie tries to survive and hopefully find her brother after aliens destroy Earth and take over.
MY REVIEW: Ever wonder how the movie Independence Day might have gone, if the plot hadn't had the really convenient overly smart human who magically figures out how to blow up the ships less then three days after the aliens come? Look, I have a fondness for Independence Day (with Will Smith, Bill Pullman, and Jeff Goldblum in it, how can I not?), don't get me wrong but there are so many giant plot holes and conveniences in that movie it's not funny. If you're looking for a better version, I highly suggest this book. It takes that idea of aliens invading and does a much better more darker version of it.
I was lucky enough to get a giveaway ARC copy of this and I honestly loved it. Yancey is a great writer, he really sat and thought about what this invasion would be, what would happen, how humans would respond, everything. It's one of the more refreshing dystopians I've read in awhile. True, the romance part was kind of weak (as always with these things. Seriously authors, why do you feel the need to add a "epic" romance to a plot that doesn't really need one?) but it doesn't ruin the book so it's not a huge issue. Just kind of annoying. But everything else about this, I kind of love.
If you're looking for something to read after Hunger Games, or just want a new dystopian to read, I highly suggest this one. I really hope it gets made into a movie because that would freaking awesome.
WHO SHOULD READ: Hunger Games fans, Independence Day fans, alien invasion story fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five aliens messing up planets

No comments:

Post a Comment