Saturday, July 13, 2013

Book Review: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

TITLE: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Book 1 in the Inheritance Trilogy
AUTHOR: N. K. Jemisin
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: Yeine gets summoned to her Grandfather's court and the next thing she knows, she's named heir and is drawn into a ruthless game for the throne.
MY REVIEW: So I've recently added a new goal to my reading in order to motivate me more to keep up with this blog (I know I've been bad guys, sorry). That goal is to read more adult fantasy fiction. See, in recent years I've sort of abandoned it. Part of it was because I was reading all the shiny new YA available and reading all the ones there I missed, another part was the genre just wasn't appealing to me much anymore. Everything kept looking the same. But people have assured me, there's good stuff out there recently published and I do honestly feel bad about getting away from it. So this is me trying to jump back into the genre. If any of you know of adult fantasy that I should read/you think I would enjoy, published in recent years then please let me know. To give you an idea, you can search my blog archives for what I've read (or go to my shelfari page, which is linked on the sidebar). I've read Gaiman (can't wait to get my hands on Ocean at the End of the Lane), I'm reading Dance of Dragons very soon, and the Outlander series is already on my list. I did try Mercedes Lackey a few times, I just couldn't get into her books (I know, I know, it's not the books it's me). Perhaps I'll try again. Maybe third times the charm?
So one of my first forays into getting back into the genre is the Inheritance Trilogy which many online readers assured me was awesome and said if I liked Game of Thrones I was sure to like this. Thankfully I for once agree with the masses: this is pretty awesome and a great read for any of you suffering from Game of Thrones withdrawal. I love the imagination going on in this series.There's diversity, there's strong women (who don't face the rampant sexism that the women in Game of Thrones have to face which is nice), and there's political intrigue. It's honestly no wonder I liked the first book. I will say the narration style takes some getting used to, as well as the set up of the chapters (you'll see what I mean) but I kind of like it when authors play around with storytelling styles so I didn't mind it so much. But I know that's a thing for some readers.
Honestly, I loved this. I know however, it probably won't be everyone's cup of tea (probably why it hasn't become uber popular). But personally, I can't wait to read the next books which will hopefully be soon.
WHO SHOULD READ: Game of Thrones fans, Throne of Glass fans, those that don't mind dark fantasy
MY RATING: Four out of Five gods causing mayhem

No comments:

Post a Comment