Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ditched Book Review: Embrace


TITLE: Embrace
Book 1 in a series
AUTHOR: Jessica Shirvington
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: angels, urban fantasy, romance
PREMISE: A girl finds out she's an angel.
WHY I DITCHED IT: Quite frankly, I ditched this because I could tell in about ten chapters how things were going to go down. And sure enough, I skipped to the last five chapters or so and nothing was a huge suprise. I am so TIRED of books like this.
It was just utterly unimaginative. There was nothing new that hasn't been done before in much better ways. And to top things off, the main character was a huge Mary Sue and an annoying one at that. There was a typical love triangle between the best friend and new comer bad boy. There was the typical ditzy best friend (who I felt got judged a lot by the main character/author). There was even the incompetant parent syndrome who when they actually tried to do any parenting gets yelled at by the main character. Yeah. No thanks.
Perhaps there is something compelling in between there in the books but judging from the chapters I read, it's not really worth my time.
WHO MAY LIKE IT: Twilight fans, Halo fans, fans with more patience for mediocre storylines then me

2 comments:

  1. No, the only redeeming thing about it was that there was a bit of exploration of the angel lore/mythology. When I first read this, I thought it was amazing. But then I really sat down and thought about what I'd read, and found that it was really...annoying. For all the reasons you said.

    The love triangle has got to be one of the most infuriating out there. Both of the guys are twomps, and so on and so on. I could write a rant about this book now that I've had a year and a half to simmer.

    Bottom line: I completely agree with what you said. I feel bad, since I've received books 2 and 3 for review as well, and I'm not just interested in continuing the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I'm not going crazy about how unoriginal it was. The way people were reviewing I though perhaps I was missing something.

    ReplyDelete