Friday, April 20, 2012

Book Review: Perception

TITLE: Perception Book 2 in the Clarity series
AUTHOR: Kim Harrington
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Paranormal, mystery
PREMISE: Clare gets wrapped up in a new case. Meanwhile her status at school has changed and her relationship with Gabriel as well...
MY REVIEW: Clarity was a out of no where book for me last year. I picked it up on whim in the library having heard very little about it and was surprised by not only how fun it was but by the fact that it was pretty solid too. So I was looking forward to Perception quite a bit and Harrington totally delivered.
One of the most engaging things about this series is Clare herself. She's an enjoyable protagonist for a change. I root for her, I get where she's coming from, and the author makes her real. She has interesting relationships that are believable and even better: she doesn't whine or angst. Sadly a heroine who doesn't do those things is hard to find in YA nowadays. Secondly I adore the side characters just as much as Clare herself. They are all interesting in their own ways, even the popular girls get some personality in here. Granted it's still a wee bit stereotyped but I did like how complex the author made the girl hierchy in school because really it's not as simple as much media likes to portray.
This book did what a second book is supposed to do. It moved characters forward, solved some issues from the first book but introduced new ones (and I STILL want Clare's dad to show up because I feel he's important somehow), and was just overall satisfying. Can't wait for the next book.
WHO SHOULD READ: those that have read Clarity, mystery fans, paranormal fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five ghosts
PS: am I the only one NOT a fan of this new system? It is NOT LETTING ME DO INDENT AT ALL. WTF, blogger?

2 comments:

  1. I hate the new dashboard.

    I've heard good things about this series. I need to check it out....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed Clarity, so glad to hear that book 2 doesn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete