Saturday, April 28, 2012

Book Review: Silence

TITLE: Silence
Book 3 in the Hush Hush series
AUTHOR: Becca Fitzpatrick
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Angels, Urban fantasy, Romance
PREMISE: Nora wakes up with no memory of the past six months including no memories of Patch...
MY REVIEW: And like a balloon letting out air, there went all the progress that was made in the last book in terms of quality. What the heck, Fitzpatrick? You did so well last book! Now it's back to Nora being helpless and dependant on Patch. I'm seriously beginning to wish this series was written by another author who wasn't so hell bent on Patch/Nora being the Epic True Love Couple. Because I feel if another author wrote this, Nora wouldn't be with Patch. Or at least she wouldn't be getting back together with him.
Because frankly the Patch/Nora thing is the thing that hinders this series for me. I'm sorry I can't get behind this couple. Patch is controlling, he doesn't trust Nora or let her be independant, he doesn't tell her things that could help her in the long run, and frankly I'm still fuzzy about what it is that makes them such a great couple in the first place. Other things in this series I find interesting. I like the angel mythology (even if it makes very little sense), I like the action, I like Nora when she's not so obsessed over Patch, I adore Vee (who was SO in the right in this book, but naturally because she's against the epic True Love couple she's shown as a horrible being), while Fitzpatrick's prose could use a lot of work, they never got to the mind numbing annoying levels. In short, if it weren't for the troubling Patch/Nora relationship this would be at least a relatively decent guilty pleasure series. Unfortunately the author insists and insists on Patch/Nora and pretty much drags down not only her main character who has so much potential but the book itself.
Because I'm this far into the series I will be reading the final book if only to see where this is all leading (it better be good and not anti-climatic lameness like Breaking Dawn). I do also mildly enjoy this series despite how horribly cheesy and in the Patch/Nora case mildly disturbing it gets. But...the series isn't good. It's like those trashy bodice rippers that you read for kicks but are really ashamed that you read them but you can't stop reading them because they're so addictive. Not that you know, I've ever read bodice rippers or anything...;whistles innocently;
WHO SHOULD READ: Twilight fans, angel books fans, those that have read the first 2 books
MY RATING: Two and a half out of Five leather jackets

No comments:

Post a Comment