Friday, April 13, 2012

Book Review: Fever


TITLE: Fever
Book 2 in the Chemical Garden Trilogy
AUTHOR: Lauren DeStefano
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian, drama
PREMISE: Rhine continues her escape.
MY REVIEW: Sigh. This was a trilogy that I was hoping would improve with the second book but unfortunately it didn't. It didn't get worse or anything, but this book just furthur proved that this trilogy just isn't for me. I get the appeal of it, don't get me wrong. There is some nice writing in here, it's entertaining, and something about the world is intrigueing. It's just simply not to my taste.
A large part of my ire rests with Rhine. I'm sorry I find her annoying and bland. She is typical selfless Mary Sue who of course is never wrong. Boring. The love interest is also possibly the most boring male lead I've seen since Edward Cullen. I mean, all I remember him doing in this book is getting sick and playing with kids, and I have yet to see why he and Rhine make such a great couple. I was hoping the world building would become more clear in this second book and while we do get more of it, it still is very sloppy to me and things make very little sense. Number one head scratcher: people are seriously upset that the president is trying to find a cure?! WHAT?! So upset, they're bombing things? I'm sorry this makes no sense whatsoever to me. I would think you would WANT A CURE. Plus, the twists that came later in the book were pretty obvious.
Frankly I just find this trilogy to be incredibly mediocre and a bit of A Handmaiden's Tale rip-off but without the important messages Handmaiden's Tale had (don't get me started on how much I hate that the author has Rhine feeling guilty about running away from a FORCED MARRIAGE. Seriously, what? Who feels guilty about that?). I get why it's popular and all those who enjoy it, I'm happy you do; at least someone did. If you loved Wither, chances are you will love this just as much. But me? I'm done. Perhaps if DeStefano does something else, I'll take a look because I do like her writing. But this particular trilogy, I'm just not bothering with the rest of.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those that loved/liked Wither
MY RATING: Three out of Five fever inducing candies (I'm sorry but CANDY did it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment