Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Book Review: The Future of Us

TITLE: The Future of Us
AUTHOR: Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Drama, contemporary, Sci-Fi? Does this count as time-travel?
PREMISE: Two teens in 1996 log on to the internet for the first time and find Facebook, a site that shows them where their future selves are.
MY REVIEW: I will not lie, this premise sounded awesome to me and was mostly picked up for pure nostalgia on my part. See, I went to school in the nineties. These teens totally could have been me. I even had that AOL disk that took forever to load up. Seriously, you kids have it easy with your internet previously installed on the computer ;) We old folks had to WAIT for our internet. Till DSL came along anyway.
So yes, this book was pretty much pure nostalgia for me. I mean FRIENDS is mentioned. I wasn't even a huge Friends fan in the day and that made me smile. So for us old fogies this book can be kick. For actual teens...I don't know. You guys may not enjoy it very much. But then I'm not one of you so I can't say for sure...As a book I will say other then the nineties nostalgia it was rather...dull. I found the main characters irritating (especially whiny Emma), I was lost on the point of it all (HOW is the disk doing this? This is never explained and that is endlessly annoying to me), and really it just DRAGS. Also anti-climatic ending much?
I think this was one of those ideas that sounded better on paper then in actual reality. Which is wierd because I've read Jay Asher and he's good. I've also heard good things about Carolyn Mackler (I've been meaning to read The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things for AGES) so I don't get how this got to be so dull and ultimately rather pointless. I guess some author collaborations aren't always a good thing.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of drama books, those that went to school in the nineties (MY PEOPLE!)
MY RATING: Two and a half out of Five old AOL disks

No comments:

Post a Comment