Sunday, August 22, 2010

Book Review: Vampire Kisses Books 1-3


TITLE: Vampire Kisses-The Beginning
Books 1 through 3 in the Vampire Kisses series
AUTHOR: Ellen Schreiber
PUBLISHED: 2009 (for this edition, 2006/07 for the first ones)
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: Vampires, romance
PREMISE: Raven lives in the dullest town imaginable where she doesn't fit in due to her fascination with vampires. But things start to look up when a creepy family moves into one of the old mansions in town...
MY REVIEW: I had no idea what to expect from this series as it's not one of those vampire books people really talk about much. So I went in with no clue what to expect. What I got was an hilarious vampire book series that despite its flaws was very enjoyable.
I won't lie and say it's the best. It's actually not. The writing isn't terrible per say, it's just not something to really brag about. Plus a lot of the stuff going on is very dubious and you must suspend a lot disbelief while reading or at the very least not question things too much. Plus, Raven can sometimes be a little immature. Actually the whole tone of the books is very middle school which I'm pretty sure is the target audience for these books. Which is fine, middle schoolers need some love in the book department that isn't stuff like Gossip Girl or Clique (which by the way, is finally ending!).
But the flaws are easily overlooked because really the books are kind of charming. Raven is the main reason I found myself enjoying these. She's freaking hilarious and I found myself mostly reading just to see what she'd do next because you honestly never knew what crazy thing she was going to do. It was fun seeing a spunky heroine with a great family (she has INVOLVED parents! I was beginning to think involved parents in YA were a myth!) and though I would have appreciated a little more character from Alexander, he and Raven were cute together and I'm rooting for them.
The book I got from the library was a three book in one edition that had the first three books in the series so I'm already about halfway through it (there are currently seven books) and I kind of like what is going on, even if the plot is very loose and very random. I look forward to reading more of this series.
WHO SHOULD READ: Middle-schoolers/younger teens, Twilight fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five bats

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
One Hundred Plus Books
12 by 12 in August
First in a Series
Support Your Local Library
YA Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment