Friday, August 27, 2010

Book Review: City of Glass


TITLE: City of Glass
Book 3 in the Mortal Instruments series
AUTHOR: Cassandra Clare
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: Urban fantasy, romance
PREMISE: Valentine is on the move and is invading the glass city. Clary and her friends are now trying to fight back by getting Shadowhunters and Downworlders to work together...
MY REVIEW: As I said with City of Ashes, these books are not high literature. They are actually pretty average. But I like them anyway. The world is interesting, the characters enjoyable (yes, even Jace though I want to smack him more then once), and it's just utter silly fun. If you want a fun not horrible mindless guilty pleasure, these books fit the bill.
I will say however I found this book to be a little...lackluster? I still enjoyed it as much as the other two, don't get me wrong. But it was just so darn predictable. We knew Valentine would get defeated (it was just a matter of how and who would live, no major suprise deaths in here either other than Max), I saw the thing about Jace not really being Clary's brother coming from a mile away too. I also must say, Clare sure jumped through a lot of hurdles with that explanation, didn't she?
But again, dispite the flaws, these books are addicting fun. I look forward to Clockwork Angel which I think will really tell us Clare's writing ability because she will be dealing with different characters and historical settings. If she manages to make these characters their own people and not Jace and company version 2.0 in victorian england, then I will say she has talent instead of just potential like I have been saying before (and still say after this book because while I again see much improvement from the last two books...she's still not phenomenal). I also look forward to the Fallen books as well though not as much as Clockwork Angel because I'm dying to see Shadowhunters in victorian england ;rubs hands in anticipation;.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those who read and liked the first two Mortal Instrument books
MY RATING: Four out of Five steles

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in August
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment