Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Book Review: Magic Bites


TITLE: Magic Bites
Book 1 in the Kate Daniels series
AUTHOR: Ilona Andrews
PUBLISHED: 2007
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Urban Fantasy, mystery
PREMISE: Kate's mentor is murdered and she goes on the prowl for his killer. Only that killer leads her straight to the weres and the vampires, people she'd love to avoid.
MY REVIEW: If the Sookie Stackhouse and Buffy the Vampire Slayer series ever joined together and had a love child book series, it would probably look something like these books. Now, I'm not bashing this series, I actually quite enjoyed it. I'm just saying, that once again, it's not overly unique. Plus, sometimes the writing was a bit weak and I kept mixing up characters for some reason.
But other then those minor grievances, this is a decent series. I love Kate. She was hilarious and ninety percent of the reason I kept reading. I loved watching her and Curran butt heads (ten bucks says they wind up together in some way or form down the road). I'm also dying do find out what exactly Kate is because really, it wasn't very clear in this first one, unless I missed it? Possible, I was mixing up stuff right and left for awhile there...Plus, on top of that, we have mysteries! I love me a good mystery.
So despite some of the flaws, this series is enjoyable and a respectable addition to the urban fantasy genre (of which I seem to be reading much more of these days...). I look forward to reading more and rec this to many urban fantasy fans.
WHO SHOULD READ: Urban fantasy fans, Kelley Armstrong fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five swords

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in August
One Hundred Plus Books
First in a Series
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment