Thursday, August 5, 2010

Book Review: The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks


TITLE: The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
AUTHOR: E.Lockhart
PUBLISHED: 2008
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: drama
PREMISE: Frankie discovers a secret society in her school that her boyfriend is a part of. Tired of not being taken seriously, she wreaks a little havoc on them and her boarding school.
MY REVIEW: I really don't get all the praise heaped on this book. Do not get me wrong, I appreciate the message behind it. Frankie is also a very nice change from the Bella Swans of the world. Plus parts of it were downright hysterical and had me going "go girl!" So in that aspect, I enjoyed it.
However, the writing leaves a lot to be desired and sometimes I felt like I was being spoon fed the message by the author. Really, I get it, girl power and all that. I don't need it spelled out for me time and time again. Plus, I didn't particularly understand character motivations and characters weren't well fleshed out to me.
Basically, I liked the idea of the book...I just don't think it was that well executed. So most I can say about this book is just another YA book. Which is why I'm puzzled about the all the awards it got, but maybe I'm the only one with the issues about it. Who knows?
WHO SHOULD READ: Girls looking for a strong female lead
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five boarding school uniforms

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES
12 by 12 in August
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment