Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Book Review: Ruined


TITLE: Ruined, A Ghost Story
AUTHOR: Paula Morris
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: paranormal
PREMISE: Rebecca is sent to live with family friends in New Orleans. While there she discovers not only a ghost but family secrets that run deep into history...
MY REVIEW: First I'll get the bad stuff out of the way. The ending was kind of chaotic and abrupt. Then there's the fact that I kept getting the feeling that the author was trying to emulate Meyer's writing style in order to appeal to Twilight fans. I understand this because that's a big demographic and a way to get published but I don't like because frankly Morris is a much more creative and better writer then Meyer is. Rebecca's constant comparing of New Orleans to New York in the beginning also kind of got irritating but thankfully she never got near the level of Bella Swan whining.
That said, I enjoyed this a lot. I was wary of it in the beginning due to the above reasons but then it suddenly started picking up and getting really good. I love the take on ghosts, the setting of New Orleans is wonderful (and really makes me want to visit the city), there are genuine creepy moments, and it turns in a way you really don't expect. Or at least I certainly wasn't expecting. The fact that it's written well is just a bonus.
Like Shadowed Summer this book appealed to my ghost story cravings that for some reason always happen around this time of year and go on through Halloween. I look forward to more from this author (this is her debut novel). If you want a spooky ghost story this book is perfect.
WHO SHOULD READ: Ghost story lovers
MY RATING: Four out of Five wandering ghosts

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
One Hundred Plus Books
12 by 12 in August
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

1 comment: