Sunday, August 15, 2010

Book Review: Chosen


TITLE: Chosen
Book 3 in the House of Night Series
AUTHOR: P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast
PUBLISHED: 2008
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: Vampires, drama
PREMISE: Zoey and friends return in an angst filled installation of the House of Night series.
MY REVIEW: Okay, I officially give up on this series. I just can't read it anymore. I was willing to give it another shot because it seemed like in the second book things were actually going someplace...but it seems that no we are STILL dragging and dragging the plot. It doesn't help that all the flaws that I was somewhat able to ignore in the series are kind of magnified in this book.
First, the writing is bad. I'm sorry it is. I've tried to overlook it, but no longer. Second, Zoey continues to be a Mary Sue and now her Mary Sue is catching because her friends are turning into Sues as well. Stevie Rae is not only a fledgling who managed to escape her doomed fate of dying...she's suddenly become a new type of vampire! Which makes no absolute sense whatsoever.
When the plot isn't being ridiculous and dragging, we get Zoeys utterly ridiculous love life (I felt the whole Loren thing was a major cop out in order to make Zoey look better), more Christian religion bashing (which I still take offense to even though I'm not even a big fan of the church), more making fun of the stereotypes (which is ironic as the whole series is basically one huge stereotype), more Zoey is so special and perfect but really this is all a big nuisance for her and she doesn't like it one bit (yet we're reminded again and again that Zoey is special by either her or her peers).
So I'm sorry. I will no longer be reading these books. I just can't take it anymore. So House of Night, I bid farewell. I'm off to find vampire books that are actually good.
WHO SHOULD READ: House of Night fans
MY RATING: One out of Five crescant moons

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in August
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment