Sunday, August 8, 2010

Book Review: Shadow Kiss


TITLE: Shadow Kiss
Book 3 in the Vampire Academy series
AUTHOR: Richelle Mead
PUBLISHED: 2008
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: Vampires, drama, romance
PREMISE: Rose and company return in the third novel in the Vampire Academy series. Rose is near the end of her guardian training, and is dealing with her relationship with Dimitri, a growing unease in the morai court, and another strigoi attack and is seeing ghosts...
MY REVIEW: Wow. What an improvement from Frostbite which was only really interesting till the last hundred pages or so. Plus, not as much summarizing as Frostbite suffered. This whole book had interesting things going on. The consequences from Frostbite are still effecting Rose and her friends (we get more Eddie and may I just say, I kind of love him?). The effects of Rose's bond with Lissa are starting to show up in Rose and finally there is commentary on the slightly unfair system between Moroi and dhampirs and royals and non-royals. It's really actually addressed here in the books whereas before there was a brief mention by others that it was sort of unfair but now the characters are starting to realize things need to change and I can't wait to see what consequences there are.
As with most of these books the huge stuff takes place in the last hundred pages are so and as always Mead packs a punch. I both love and hate her for it. There is a cliffhanger in this book that is downright EVIL. I won't give it away for those that haven't gotten this far in it yet but...be prepared guys, just be prepared. So now, things that I particularly loved in this one.
There was more Christian (and thus more Christian and Rose banter). Christian is frankly my favorite character in this series. I love Rose too, and Dimitri and Adrian are hot and all but Christian...I just love him. More Adrian as well (which means more great Adrian and Rose banter that is second only to the Christian and Rose banter). Rose character GROWS. She really starts to grow up in this book. So does Lissa. I surprised myself by finding Lissa to be kind of awesome in this book whereas before I could take her or leave her. We also see more of the what guardians go through to become guardians and man it's no joke. Also as I said before, more court intrigue and the characters are starting to really fight against the status quo in this.
Thus far this is my favorite Vampire Academy book. But I'm only halfway through so that may change. Still highly reccomend this series to all.
WHO SHOULD READ: those who've read the first two books, Twilight fans, House of Night fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five silver stakes

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
One Hundred Plus Books
12 by 12 in August
YA Challenge
Finish that series!

No comments:

Post a Comment