Monday, August 30, 2010

Book Review: Enchanted Glass


TITLE: Enchanted Glass
AUTHOR: Diana Wynne Jones
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Childrens
GENRE: fantasy
PREMISE: Aidan has been having a tough time: his grandmother just died leaving him on his own and now creepy night stalkers are chasing him so he goes to see the old wizard Jocelyn like his gran told him to if he found himself in trouble. Only problem is old wizard Jocelyn just died leaving his grandson in charge instead...
MY REVIEW: I have a big bias about Diane Wynne Jones. As far as I'm concerned, she's one of those rare writers out there who simply cannot write a bad book. Occasionally she'll write something that I don't enjoy as much as her other work, but said book will still be enjoyable and I can bet there will be one or two characters I'll end up loving to death by the end of the book.
That said, Enchanted Glass...may not be Jones best work (I still think Chrestomanci Chronicles and Howls Moving Castle are her at her best) but it's still good and still enjoyable. For one I found the story kind of sweet what with Aidan finding a place he belongs and whatnot. I have a soft spot for those kinds of stories. Plus, this one is full of loveable characters. My absolute favorite was Stashe. Come on, what's not to love about a girl who's not afraid to smack around Titania, queen of the fairies or call her a cheap trollop?
That said, I found the ending a bit chaotic and abrubt but other then that, I found this to be Jone's usual quality work: unique magic worlds, well written, funny, and with engaging characters. As always with Jones I'm eager to see what she has in store for us next.
WHO SHOULD READ: Diana Wynne Jones fans, fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five wire rimmed glasses

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in August
One Hundred Plus Books
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment