Thursday, September 14, 2017

Book Review: We Are Okay

TITLE: We Are Okay
AUTHOR: Nina LaCour
PUBLISHED: February 14th, 2017
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Contemporary
PREMISE: Marin's friend Mabel comes to visit, bringing with her memories Marin would rather forget....
MY REVIEW: So this is the first solo Nina LaCour book I've read. I've read books she's written with others, such as You Know Me Well (written with David Levithan) which I adored last year. So this year I decided I'm finally going to look into the books she writes on her own. I have to say, she might become a favorite author.
We Are Okay is a very short book. It's under 250 pages, I read it all in one sitting. LaCour's writing is solid, her characters are....well as developed as you can be in such a short book. She tackles tough issues and has solid plots. She manages to tug on heart strings quite a bit in those short pages.
As far as quality goes, this isn't ground-breaking stuff. How to handle grief has been a thing in YA for awhile. But it's handled well, I think this is a pretty good intro to a author whose books I'm definitely going to be reading more of in the future.
WHO SHOULD READ: Nina LaCour fans, contemporary fiction fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five solid books

No comments:

Post a Comment