Friday, September 8, 2017

Book Review: More Than This

TITLE: More Than This
AUTHOR: Patrick Ness
PUBLISHED: 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Science Fiction/Mystery
PREMISE: A boy wakes to find himself in a strange world...
MY REVIEW: This book....I'm not even sure how to go about describing this book. The best I can come up with is...a YA version of the Matrix...sort of. I'm reminded a lot of We Are the Ants by Shawn David Hutchinson (have I mentioned you should read that book? Because you should read that book). The premise is weird and difficult to explain, but the important thing about the book is not even really the premise, it's the character journey taking place within the premise. Wow. That got deep...
There is lots of character study within this book. It all wraps into the mystery of what exactly is going on and whatnot. I have a feeling this is one of those books that is not going to be for everyone. It's very slow. Things tend to get frustrating sometimes when you try to figure out what's going on. It's got that very Patrick Ness quality to it where it's weird and you're not sure what's happening but...you're enjoying the journey if that makes sense.
So this is one of those books that's hard to know if I recommend it. It is very quirky and I'm not sure if it'll be everyone's cup of tea. Luckily it was mine. Note to self: finish up the Chaos Walking Trilogy. I really do need to get on that and then I believe I will have read all of his books except for the one that is coming out soon (it was supposed to be out in May but apparently dates got mixed around and now it's in the fall...).
WHO SHOULD READ:  Patrick Ness fans, fans of We Are the Ants, those that like odd books
MY RATING: Four out of Five interesting ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment