Sunday, September 3, 2017

August Wrap-Up

Going to try a new idea here. A lot of people do monthly wrap-ups and I thought I'd try it out for these past few months. So here's a round-up of what I've read this month. You'll notice I don't do reviews of all of these. That's because some, such as with Dresden Files, are long series I plan on doing a series review of. Others I just don't have much to say about it so I don't feel compelled to review it:

Books:
Started in July, finished in August
The Star-Touched Queen Book 2: A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi
Strange The Dreamer Book 1 by Laini Taylor
Dresden Files 11: Turn Coat by Jim Butcher
The Girl From Everywhere Book 2: The Ship Beyond Time by Heidi Heilig

Started and finished in August
Windfall by Jennifer E. Smith
Saints and Misfits by S. K. Ali
Because You Love to Hate Me short story collection by various authors
Darker Shade of Magic Book 3: A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab
The Sandcastle Empire by Kayla Olsen
More Than This by Patrick Ness
The Meaning of Michelle essay collection by various authors
We Are Okay by Nina LaCour
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
Library of Fates by Aditi Khorana
Trials of Apollo Book 2: The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan
Olympus Bound 2: Winter of the Gods by Jordanna Max Brodsky
Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit
Rest in Power by Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin

Started in August but haven't finished:
Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
Dark Artifices Book 1: Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
Freedom is a Constant Struggle by Angela Y. Davis
Talking as Fast as I Can by Lauren Graham
Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare

Plays/Novellas:
Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley
Theban Plays Parts 2 and 3
Henry IV Part 1 and Part 2
Henry V

Graphic Novels:
Squirrel-Girl Volume 5: Like I"m the Only Squirrel in the World
Gotham Academy Second Semester Vol. 1
Moon-Girl Vol. 2: Cosmic Cuties
Hawkeye, Kate Bishop Vol. 1: Anchor Points

DNFs of the Month aka, books I had to ditch for various reasons:
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez-This book isn't hard or anything like that. It's just really tedious. It also perpetuates rape culture myths and the Nice Guy narrative. No thanks.
Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza-I see what the author was going for, but there was so little time spent developing characters and the world that I realized that half way through the extremely rushed plot...I just didn't care.
The Cage Book 2: The Hunt by Megan Shepherd-Sequel started out meh and I realized a bit of the way through I didn't particularly care about the story anymore.

Before anyone calls me a liar, here's how I read so much:
1) a lot of these books are actually kind of short. We Are Okay for instance is less then 250 pages.
2) I read multiple books at a time (usually three) The minute I'm done with one, I pick up another. It adds up.
3)I do audiobooks. It's the best hack. Highly recommend, especially for getting classics out of the way.
4) Not to brag, but I read fast. It's always been a thing with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment