Sunday, February 7, 2016

Reading Through the Classics: Tuck Everlasting

TITLE: Tuck Everlasting
AUTHOR: Natalie Babbitt
PUBLISHED: 1975
CATEGORY: Childrens/Middle-Grade
GENRE: Historical Fiction, Magical Realism
PREMISE: A young girl meets a family who are blessed (or cursed) with eternal life.
MY THOUGHTS: Somehow my younger self has never gotten to this book. No, I don't know how that happened. I've seen the movie with Alexis Bledel, but I've never read the book. Since last year was the fortieth anniversary of it, I figured it was time to read it.
If you've seen the movie, the book is mostly the same story. The only major difference is, there's no romance between Winnie and the younger Tuck. Because Winnie is like, ten years old. I'm a little disappointed in the movie for forcing a romance into a story where there was no romance to begin with. Especially considering the story got on just fine without romance in the first place. The prose in this book are lovely. It's a very fast read due to it being less then two hundred pages, but the author manages to have a satisfying story within that short page count.
I definitely see why the popularity of this book has lasted. I'm not sure how well it would go over with today's youth (it's very slow paced compared to most of today's fiction), but it's definitely worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment