Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Book Review: This is Where it Ends

TITLE: This is Where it Ends
AUTHOR: Marieke Nijkamp
PUBLISHED: 1/5/2016
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Realistic Fiction
PREMISE: A group of students find themselves in the middle of a school shooting where the shooter is all too familiar...
MY REVIEW: I wanted to like this one a lot more then I did. The author is part of the We Need Diverse Books Group, a group I love and whom is doing excellent stuff. That is probably why diversity wise, this book is excellent. If there is one thing I hope people take away from this, and the many other diverse titles popping up, it's that it is in fact very easy to have diversity in a story. Yes, even a book set in a small town.
I think my issue is mostly just the execution of it all. Namely with the shooter, and why he was doing what he was, and then how things ended. I also wasn't thrilled with the multiple points of view. I suppose I can see why the author chose it, I just don't care for the method. Especially when the characters don't sound that different so I have to keep track of who's speaking.
This wasn't a bad book. There were some insights in there. It's just that some of the details didn't really mesh well. I think with some more polishing and working on things like subtlety Nijkamp could go on to write some great things, there was a lot of potential here.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of hot topicy sort of books, realistic fiction fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five could have been better shrugs

No comments:

Post a Comment