Saturday, February 20, 2016

Reading Through the Classics: Cotillion

TITLE: Cotillion
AUTHOR: Georgette Heyer
PUBLISHED: 1953
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Historical Romance
PREMISE: Kitty is on the brink of inheriting a fortune from her guardian. But first, she must marry one of his grand-nephews...
MY THOUGHTS: If ever there was a precursor to category romance, particularly the regency category romance, Georgette Heyer is probably it. She was a prolific author who wrote many historical romances as well as a few detective novels from the thirties on through to sixties. The one I read here is just one of her many books.
From what I understand, she took many of her cues from Austen and that definitely shows in her books. But for me personally, it lacked the charm of Austen. It was just too bogged down by the historical details and honestly was a little dull for me. The historical detail is top notch but ultimately stalled the book quite a bit.
I suspect this is a matter of different audience. Heyer was writing for the crowd of the 1950s with this one. Maybe people back then weren't as aware of the regency era as we are now. I have noticed many things written back then feel slower then things written now. So for me personally, Heyer's not really my thing. But reading her books is interesting nonetheless. Mostly just to see how different the romance category was approached back then as opposed to nowadays.
WHO SHOULD READ: Romance fans, Jane Austen fans, Georgette Heyer fans, regency romance fans

No comments:

Post a Comment