Monday, February 22, 2016

Book Review: Thief of Lies

TITLE: Thief of Lies
Book 1 in the Library Jumpers series
AUTHOR: Brenda Drake
PUBLISHED: 1/5/2016
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
PREMISE: A girl and her friends discover there are knights who jump from library to library protecting people from danger...
MY REVIEW: When I first heard the premise of this new series, I wanted it immediately. Library based fantasy? That's right up my alley. Unfortunately, the execution did not live up to the awesome premise.
Not that the author totally screwed it up. It's a perfectly competent book. It has the plot, it has the exposition, and it is readable. It's just...very messy and not very well explained. The world building is very sloppy. Character development...is not very existent. I honestly felt like I was reading a very very rough draft of a book instead of a finished and thoroughly edited book. It was definitely fast paced, but to the hindrance of the book honestly. The author jumped so much between ideas, and never fully explained said ideas, that I spent half the book going "huh?".
There is something here. The way the author describes the libraries/scenery is great. I just kind of felt like the entire book was rushed and not thoroughly thought out. If there is a next book, I hope the author slows things down a notch in order to give characters time to develop and explains some things more.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those who don't mind really rushed plots, Mortal Instruments fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five libraries

No comments:

Post a Comment