Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Book Review: Brown Girl Dreaming

TITLE: Brown Girl Dreaming
AUTHOR: Jacqueline Woodson
PUBLISHED: 2014
CATEGORY: Middle-Grade
GENRE: Historical Fiction, Verse
PREMISE: An author recalls her childhood in the sixties through verse poems.
MY REVIEW: When it comes to verse books or honestly any sort of poetry, I'm more then a little out of my depth. I've never taken any sort of poetry class so I'm just really not familiar with poetry or verse at all. So when it comes to telling you if the verse stuff in here is superior or not...I've got nothing, sorry. But I'm assuming that the people who award things, know much more about these things then I do. Since it won a whole bunch of awards, I'm going to say the verse stuff is probably brilliant.
I can give you thoughts on the historical part of it and how it made me feel though. The historical stuff was top notch. There were also several bits in it that impacted me emotionally a lot. Which, I'm again assuming is a sign that the verse she's writing is good.
So I personally really liked this book. But this should probably be taken with a grain of salt, because I know pretty much nothing about what makes a good verse book.
WHO SHOULD READ: verse fiction fans, Jacqueline Woodson fans, historical fiction fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five verses

No comments:

Post a Comment