Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Book Review: Ruin and Rising

TITLE: Ruin and Rising
Book 3 in the Grisha Trilogy
AUTHOR: Leigh Bardugo
PUBLISHED: June 17th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: Alina and her crew gather all the strength they can to defeat the Darkling.
MY REVIEW: This is one of those rare trilogies that have actually gotten better as it's progressed. Usually it's either it gets worse, or it's good, has a ho hum middle book, and then gets good again at the end. Then there's the last option where it's good, get's a strong sequel, and then gets a ho hum ending.
Given my choice, I like this progression, where it starts off kind of good, gets kind of awesome in the middle, and by the last is pretty damn awesome.
Ruin and Rising was just satisfying. Which is how ending should be. I'm probably in the minority where I wish what happened to Mal had stuck, because I think that would have been more powerful. But I'm also happy with how it turned out so...oh well. I'm just a little tired of books temporarily doing damage to characters and then going ha! never mind, they're okay! It's been happening a lot lately in the series I read and it's honestly starting to feel like a cheap tactic. I have lots of problems with Allegiant, but at least Roth had the guts to keep Tris dead.
But for the most part, this was a satisfying end to a great trilogy. Luckily for us there is apparently more coming from this universe. While I am usually weary of spin-offs, this one sounds promising as it deals with completely new characters and new locations. The characters also all sound completely different from Alina and co. so hopefully it won't develop into a Mortal Instruments situation.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fans of the first two books, fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment