Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Book Review: The Blade Itself

TITLE: The Blade Itself
Book 1 in the First Law Trilogy
AUTHOR: Joe Abercrombie
PUBLISHED: 2007
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: Three men try to make their way through a grim world.
MY REVIEW: So I picked this one in my read through the library thing. I had no idea that apparently, this author is quite popular. Or at least well known. Even Rick Riordan loves him on Goodreads and I like Rick Riordan so I was prepared to get into this. Unfortunately I didn't.
It took me a long while to figure out why. It wasn't until three quarters in that I finally realized why I wasn't connecting with the book at all: there are hardly ANY female characters. Oh, there are some. Two in fact. But both of them show up late and both of them hardly add anything to the plot. But in this large cast of characters, you only have TWO female characters? Really? This doesn't even have Lord of the Ring's excuse of being written in the thirties. It was written fairly recently. I also don't think the author meant anything by it. He's probably like most male authors: he just didn't think about it. Really male authors, you need to think about stuff like this. It's 2014, people are paying attention to this stuff now.
Other then the problematic female character issue, this was honestly just okay for me. It honestly felt like a majority of the usual dark and gritty fantasy books that are a dime a dozen these days. I do recommend this to guys who are into Game of Thrones though.
WHO SHOULD READ: Game of Thrones fans, dark fantasy fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five swords

No comments:

Post a Comment