Saturday, October 11, 2014

Book Review: Sekret

TITLE: Sekret
Book 1 in the new Sekret series
AUTHOR: Lindsay Smith
PUBLISHED: April 1rst, 2014
GENRE: Historical Fiction/Paranormal
PREMISE: A girl with paranormal gifts in 1960s Russia gets caught and dragged into politics...
MY REVIEW: Ever kick yourself for not finding a book sooner? That is me and this book. Somehow I totally forgot about this hidden gem that I made note of early in 2014 but forgot by the time April came around. I blame all the fabulous spring reads that were out during that time. Luckily I've started going back over my 2014 book list and found this one.
Sekret is a good paranormal book that reminds me a lot of The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. That is not a bad thing, I loved that book. Basically it's teens in Russia who have telepathic gifts and the KGB uses those gifts to help with the Cold War. It's nice seeing a book NOT set in the USA or Europe for once. It's also nice seeing a book go into the history that no one really likes to talk about. Probably because we did just as much shady stuff during the Cold War as Russia did. I can't help but notice whenever there's an even that makes the US look less then stellar, we don't talk about it much (see WWI, where we took forever to get to the war, Vietnam/Korea)
While the romance angle was a bit whatever and seemed thrown in there just because it's YA, the rest of the book is fun and interesting and a great ride. I can't wait to read the next book.
WHO SHOULD READ: Darkest Powers Trilogy fans, Russian history fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five spy organizations

No comments:

Post a Comment