Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Book Review: The Time Traveling Fashionista


TITLE: The Time Traveling Fashionista
Book 1 in a new series
AUTHOR: Bianca Turetsky
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: historical fiction, fantasy
PREMISE: A girl tries on a dress and is inexplicably sent back in time to the 1920s on the Titanic.
MY REVIEW: Okay first of all I have to give major kudos to the artist and design of this book. First time I saw it I did a major fangirl. The fashion illustrations are beautiful and the design/packaging of the book are a major happy for this artist. I just wish the story/writing lived up to the beautiful design of the book.
You can tell this is the authors first book. She does all the amateur mistakes: tell don't show, long desriptions of what everyone's wearing/settings because of course that's the important part of the plot, whiny heroine who naturally hates her normal charmed life which is actually very good (seriously, she's even popular!), predictable plot with a lot of conveniances, and it all just shapes up to be a rather dull time travel tale that makes no sense. Seriously I am sick of these random time-travel devices with no explanation for HOW they transport you. I can forgive it on Doctor Who because the Doctor is an alien and time travel is the main purpose of the TARDIS (and they do sort of give plausible explanations for how it works). But why the hell do these random fashionista women have gowns that transport you to random times? How does it even work? Oh and they aren't even going to have the decency to help you leave? I don't think so, author. Try again.
I wanted to like this book, I really did. I love history and fashion, I SHOULD like it. Unfortunately I can't ignore all the huge gaping plot holes in this or the very juvenile tone to the books or how the character is one giant Mary Sue that almost rivals Bella Swan. Honestly the only people I can really recomend this book to in seriousness is maybe younger Gossip Girl fans. Everyone else...I wouldn't bother.
WHO SHOULD READ: younger YA crowd into stuff like Clique/Gossip Girl, fashion gurus
MY RATING: Two out of Five corsets

No comments:

Post a Comment