Friday, October 7, 2011

Book Review: The Demon's Lexicon


TITLE: The Demon's Lexicon
Book 1 in the Demon's Lexicon Trilogy
AUTHOR: Sarah Rees Brennan
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: urban fantasy, drama
PREMISE: in a world of demons and magic, Nick and his brother Alan have survived on their own by relying on each other. Then two kids show up and change everything...
MY REVIEW: Oh my God, why didn't I pick this trilogy up sooner?! I had heard of it and everyone kept reccing it right and left but I just never got around to reading it. Well I finally saw a cheap copy in Books a Million (seriously best chain store ever. Their bargain book bins are glorious) and picked it up. I'm not sorry I did either.
This book has good writing, interesting characters, engrossing storytelling, action, a wee bit of romance (but not the sappy annoying kind thank god and it's relagated to subplot like romances should be in fantasy books), humor, and most important: creativity. Granted while reading sometimes felt the author went a tad over the top with trying to make her book too edgy. She didn't need to do so because it was a good solid book without all that. Also sometimes Nick angsted a bit too much for my tastes but it never got to Bella Swan levels and he did stuff so I'm not going to complain about that too much.
But seriously if you haven't read this trilogy you totally should. Just be warned, it's dark. If you like happy tales with moral characters or sappy love triangles this is not for you. But if you don't mind darkness in your YA enjoy.
WHO SHOULD READ: Holly Black fans, urban fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five long swords

No comments:

Post a Comment