Saturday, October 22, 2011

Book Review: Born at Midnight


TITLE: Born at Midnight
Book 1 in the new Shadow Falls series
AUTHOR: C. C. Hunter
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: urban fantasy, romance, mystery
PREMISE: A girl gets sent to a camp for abnormals like werewolves, faeries, witches, and vampires.
MY REVIEW: Here's the thing, Born at Midnight isn't horrible. It's very relateable for teens I suspect. There is a interesting enough plot in the background. I also rather enjoyed Della and Miranda. Even the writing is somewhat decent.
However it's what I call a safe book. There isn't anything new or groundbreaking going on here. It feels like a mish mash of Percy Jackson/House of Night/Twilight. Also I found Kylie and her constant flip flopping between guys to be VERY IRRITATING. Seriously, do teen girls really act like this nowadays? I haven't been a teen for some time so I don't know for sure but in my day if a girl did the stuff Kylie did with three guys like she's doing in this book, well I'm sorry she would have been called a slut. Which is ironic considering how many times Kylie herself calls other girls a slut but the other girls aren't flirting with three guys at once (hence why this reminded me of House of Night). Granted I'm in the midwest but still...the book felt preachy a lot which I found strange considering the characters didn't exactly practice what the book was preaching. Stuff like this and the sex/drug/cursing talk just sort of made the book feel like it was trying too hard to be cool you know? Also can we say sloppy world building? Kylie herself while never getting to Zoey Redbird heights had the tendency to be Mary Sueish and a hypocritical one at that.
For a first book it's okay and there is enough here that I may be picking up the second book. But I just think the author could stand for a lot of improvement and could we have a little less focus on multiple love interests and more focus on the far more interesting plot part?
WHO SHOULD READ: House of Night fans, Twilight fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five cabins

No comments:

Post a Comment