Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Book Review: Overbite


TITLE: Overbite
Book 2 in the Insatiable series
AUTHOR: Meg Cabot
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: vampires, urban fantasy, romance
PREMISE: Meena gets wrapped up in a vampire plot once again when her ex Lucian returns from hiding.
MY REVIEW: Insatiable was one of my favorites from last year so admitedly I probably had higher then normal expectations for Overbite. Cabot goes an unexpected route with this second book and I have to say, I liked it. I was maybe not totally thrilled with the ending but I like Cabot's tendancy to surprise me. It's why I keep reading her stuff she does things in ways I don't expect and then once I think about it, it makes sense.
One of the things that intrigue me so about this series is not only how it cleverly pokes fun at the vampire genre but how Meena acknowledges Lucian has evil tendancies. One of the most exasperating things in vampire novels for me is how much the female excuses all the bad their vampy boyfriends do by saying "oh there's good in him, really!". While Meena does think there's good in Lucian she does not use that as an excuse for all his a-hole behavior and calls him out on it. She goes, "dude I sort of love you but seriously, what the hell?" It's just so refreshing to see in this genre of excusing bad behavior because you're in love.
This second book felt a bit final so I don't know if we're going to be getting a third book (although that thing with the tourists was never solved...) but if we do I'll be happy and if we don't I'll be satisfied.
WHO SHOULD READ: Cabot fans, vampire fans, those that read and liked Insatiable
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five cross necklaces

No comments:

Post a Comment