Friday, December 17, 2010

Book Review: Thief Eyes


TITLE: Thief Eyes
AUTHOR: Janni Lee Simner
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: mythology, fantasy, adventure
PREMISE: Haley's mother disappeared in Iceland a month ago and now she's in the country, determined to find her. However, finding leads her into crazyness involving thousand year old Iceland legends...
MY REVIEW: I will say this for the author: she is creative. I love when authors are creative. That said, I was a little lost reading this but I think that mostly has to do with not really being familiar with this myth that Simner is using. Plus, it would have been nice to have character development and what not.
But for the most part this is a decent book and much better then I was anticipating. I didn't have much expectation as I don't know the myth, I've never read the author's more popular series Bones of Faerie (though I now am intrigued enough to try it out) so I wasn't expecting greatness. But it was a pretty interesting book. As I said, the author was creative, it was a refreshing change of pace from the vampires/werewolves/angels/faeries scene that is basically YA fantasy now, and I even found myself liking Haley even if I wished now and then I could get a feel for her personality more. Ari was also adorable but then I have a weakness for musicians. Particularly musicians who like Star Wars ;)
So a spectacular book this is not. It also may help you better if you're more familiar with the myth Simner is using. But if you're tired of the average fantasy going on right now, this is a nice a change of pace from that.
WHO SHOULD READ: those familiar with norse mythology, fans of Simner's other series Bones of Faerie
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five coins

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in December
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment