Monday, December 27, 2010

Book Review: Clockwork Angel


TITLE: Clockwork Angel
Book 1 in the Infernal Devices Trilogy
AUTHOR: Cassandra Clare
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: urban fantasy, romance, historical fiction
PREMISE: Tessa Grey comes to London at the request of her brother and finds herself swept up in a magical world that she never knew existed...
MY REVIEW: For me the Mortal Instruments series is the ultimate guilty pleasure series. Is it super fantastic? No, not really. But it is very very entertaining and enjoyable so I have no problem with the series like a lot of other people seem to have with it. Infernal Devices is no different. I enjoyed it a lot. Great? No. It's a tad predictable, none of the "twists" are really surprising, some of the prose get a tad cringe worthy. It also has the tendancy to feel a bit like a remix of the first Mortal Instruments.
But...I don't care. I got into it. Tessa was more enjoyable then Clary, I'll give her that. I also found Will and Jem really interesting. I even am genuinely stumped about what Will's deal is though I'm betting half-demon/angel whatever has something to do with it if I know Clare. It didn't hurt that the books were set in my favoirite time period to read about: Victorian England. What my deal with this era is, I don't know. I just know that this factor made this actually a little better then Mortal Instruments for me.
If you've read Clare before, you know what to expect from her and this is honestly more of the same (though I will say her pacing/suspense is getting better as she goes on). If this is your first venture into these books, enjoy it. Don't nitpick, otherwise you won't have fun reading them. They aren't great works of literature by any stretch of the imagination. But Clockwork Angel is at the very least very entertaining.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those that read and liked Mortal Instruments
MY RATING: Four out of Five clockwork devices

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in December
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge

1 comment:

  1. CA was one of my favorite reads of the year. I have heard that it is very similar to TMI, and that is why I haven't read TMI yet.

    Enjoyed reading your thoughts on how they compare. I think I will wait on TMI.

    ReplyDelete