Saturday, December 4, 2010

Book Review: The Reformed Vampire Support Group


TITLE: The Reformed Vampire Support Group
AUTHOR: Catherine Jinks
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: vampires, werewolves, drama, adventure
PREMISE: Being a vampire isn't all it's cracked up to be. Just ask Nina and her friends in the Vampire Support Group.
My REVIEW: I've been going through the vampire books this year as you can probably tell so I'm a little burnt out on them. After this one I'm reading Blue Bloods and Crusade and then I think I'm cooling it with the vamp books for next year. As far as these vampire books go, this was definitely one of the most original ones I've seen in awhile. It was refreshing seeing a vampire's life NOT GLAMOURIZED. Finally!
Best way I can think of to describe this book is quirky. The characters all are interesting and not your usual vampires, the take on vampirism was different, and it was fun seeing vampires act like people and have actual problems that didn't include who to date. In fact, there was no high school in sight! The book was also rather hilarious if a bit confusing at times.
I will say it sort of dragged at the end and felt a bit random at times, but overall it was an okay book. Definitely an interesting take on the vampire lore which is something that's been sorely missing in the genre. There is a sequel coming out in December apparently and I'll probably end up reading that as it's about the werewolves that get introduced.
WHO SHOULD READ: vampire fans, you like quirky books, fans of Jink's other books
MY RATING: three and a half out of Five sullen vampires

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment