Friday, December 24, 2010

Book Review: Empty and Merry Christmas!


TITLE: Empty
AUTHOR: Suzanne Weyn
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: science fiction/dystopian
PREMISE: In the near future, the world is running out of oil and effecting lives.
MY REVIEW: I've finally figured out why it is that although I find Weyn's books immensely interesting and thought provoking, I can't say they're excellent. Number one reason: they need to be longer. Seriously, she sets up these great detailed worlds that I want to know more about especially as she makes it so you can believe all this will happen but then she quickly runs through plot because the books are so short and I'm left with that "but...wait!" feeling that leaves me dissatisfied. Second: She needs to work on making her characters as interesting as the premises/settings that she sets up because in all honesty her characters are boring and uninteresting and a majority of the time, irritating.
If Weyn would work on this, I'd be singing her praises because she has the makings of a great author. She's creative with ideas, she writes well, I love the settings she comes up with (even if they're mildly scary because they just might happen someday). But due to a rushed plot and boring characters, these books just don't click for me like say Life As We Knew It or Hunger Games or any of the other fantastic dystopian stories out there.
So I have to say that once more, an average book from an author who I think could do a lot better. Dystopian novel enthusiasts may be more interested in this one though.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of The Bar Code Rebellion, dystopian future novel fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five engines

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
One Hundred Plus Books
12 by 12 in December
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

Happy Holidays to everyone out there! I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas or enjoys whatever you happen to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment