Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Book Review: The Goblin Gate


TITLE: The Goblin Gate
Sequel to the Goblin Wood
AUTHOR: Hilari Bell
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: fantasy, adventure
PREMISE: Tobin and Makenna deal with problems on the other side of the gate while Tobin's brother deals with the fallout of his brother leaving.
MY REVIEW: This is the first time I've been disappointed in Bell's work and it honestly doesn't have much to do with how good the book is. It's just mostly that when I wanted a sequel for Goblin Wood, this wasn't actually what I had in mind. I wanted more focus on Makenna and Tobin because I find their relationship the most interesting. I honestly could have cared less about Tobin's brother.
But, apparently I'm supposed to care about him because a majority of this book is in his point of view. I will say it helped me understand his character a bit more so I liked him a lot more then I did in Goblin Wood where I found him quite annoying. But still, I wish Bell had focused more on Tobin and Makenna instead. Oh well, maybe in the next book?
Dispite that, it still has Bell's usual quality writing, interesting characters, thoughtful ideas, and quirky humor. So it wasn't that the book was bad. It's just that it's not what I was expecting or wanted for Goblin Wood's continuation. However, it looks like there's going to be another so maybe that one will be more interesting then this one.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those that have read The Goblin Wood, Hilari Bell fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five goblins

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in December
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment