Sunday, December 19, 2010

Book Review: Stolen


TITLE: Stolen
Book 2 in the Women of the Otherworld series
AUTHOR: Kelley Armstrong
PUBLISHED: 2002
CATEGORY: adult
GENRE: Urban fantasy, adventure, romance
PREMISE: Elena is doing her duties as a pack member when she gets kidnapped and learns that there's a whole other world of creatures out there besides just werewolves...
MY REVIEW: Okay, NOW I'm on board with this series. I discovered Kelley Armstrong late last year when I finally sat down and read the first Darkest Powers Trilogy book and fell in love with her ideas. I finally decided to pick up the first book in her more well known Women of the Otherworld series a few months ago and while I liked it, I wasn't really feeling it as much as Darkest Powers. Now, after reading the second book, I now love this series.
Major reason I think is the first book is in many ways a prequel to the rest of the series and Armstrong's writing/pacing also improved much more between these books so it's more resembling of the writing in Darkest Powers. Plus she introduces much more interesting characters this time around. It also helps that Elena has gotten over her "I hate myself" thing she had in the first book which was kind of annoying. Now that she's accepted herself and her pack I like her a hell of a lot more then I did in book 1.
While this is maybe a tad predictable at times, it's still a interesting series now with inclusion of the other species and I look forward to reading the rest. Especially as she apparently switches the story over to Paige in the next book and Paige was the most interesting to me and I can't wait to read what the witches are like in this series. Next year, I'll be trying to get completely caught up on this series along with Brigg's Mercy Thompson series. So keep a look out for those reviews in the future (as well as some Gena Showalter as I'm going to try and read her next, soon as I figure out which book was her first...).
WHO SHOULD READ: Those that read and liked the first book, Darkest Powers Trilogy fans, urban fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five witches

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in December
One Hundred Plus Books
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment