Sunday, December 26, 2010

Best and Worst of 2010 Books

So it's that time of year when everyone comes up with these kinds of lists. Sorry if you're tired of seeing these ;) I read a combination of books published in 2010 and in previous years so there will be some old books in here mixed in with new ones. Enjoy!

Best New Series Started in 2010:
God this one is hard because there were so many good looking ones started but I'm going with Incarceron series by Catherine Fisher (I'm going by started in the US, I know it was released before it came out here and that some of you lucky people over the pond have already read Saphique ;is not jealous;).
Honorable mentions: The Curse Workers by Holly Black, Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa
Best Debut book in 2010:
Another one that is so hard cause there were some really good ones this year (that I actually ;gasp; read!) but my choice is Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. Seriously, this is the author's FIRST BOOK?! Can't wait to read her next one, Delirium, coming out in Spring 2011.
Honorable mentions: Paranormalcy by Kirsten White, The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
Favorite Conclusion of a series in 2010:
Hands down, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. Please note, I have not read Last Sacrifice or The Girl Who Kicked a Hornet's Nest yet.
Favorite newly discovered YA series not published in 2010:
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. Been a long time since I've gotten into a series as much as I have with this one. I still need to read books five and six and then I'm done! Tied with Vampire Academy for me is The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I read the first book a month or two before Mockingjay and fell in absolute book lust with the series. All three of the books were awesome and I can't wait to see what Collins has in store for us with her next series.
Honorable mentions: Wicked Lovelyby Melissa Marr, Wolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater, Theatre Illuminate series by Lisa Mantchev, Last Survivors by Susan Beth Pfeffer, Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink
Favorite continuation of a YA series in 2010:
The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare.I'm currently reading this (and yes, it totally counts as a continuation, it's a prequel to Mortal Instruments after all) and I'm loving the heck out of it! Shadowhunters in victorian times! Awesome!
Honorable mentions: Evernight series Book 3-Hourglass by Claudia Gray, Wolves of Mercy Falls Book 2-Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
Favorite newly discovered middle-grade book series not published in 2010:
Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan-If you haven't read this by now, do so!
Favorite middle grade series started in 2010:
The Kane Chronicles: Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (yes, I know there's a theme here, sorry)
Favorite continuation of a middle-grade series in 2010:
Sisters Grimm: The Inside Story by Michael Buckley
Favorite adult book published in 2010:
Insatiable by Meg Cabot-There's a sequel coming out in the Summer guys! Rejoice!
Honorable mention: Kate Daniels Book 4 by Ilona Andrews
Favorite newly discovered adult series not published in 2010:
This one is hard because I found myself diving into the world of adult Urban fantasy this year so I discovered a lot of wonderful new series to read. But I'd have to go with the Parasol Proctorate series by Gail Carriger. Everything about this book I loved, even if it's maybe not perfect. I will be reading the next two as soon as I can.
Honorable mentions:Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong, Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, Fever series by Karen Marie Moning, The Millanium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson
Favorite continuation of a adult series published in 2010:
Kate Daniels Book 4 by Ilona Andrews. Cannot wait till Book 5, I swear this series gets better as it goes on.
Honorable mention: Sookie Stackhouse-Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris
Most disappointing book in 2010:
The Dark Divine by Bree Despain-With all the praise this book got, I was expecting amazing. Instead I got average, bordering on boring, lackluster characters and romance that I didn't even like, and to top it off it preached at you. It has potential to be good, which is why I'm going to try and give the sequel a chance if my library has it but honestly it just reads like a preachy Twilight rip-off.
Worst YA book in 2010:
Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves.-Seriously, I'm still scratching my head over this book. What was it trying to accomplish anyway? I saw no point, I hated the characters, the writing was amatuerish, and the plot...I'm not even sure what the plot was. Creative, maybe but the author failed in execution.
Most Boring Book in 2010:
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Benson. This book was just one big snooze. Boring character, boring plot which made a somewhat interesting idea totally boring. To top it off, the author didn't follow proper writing rules and that was very annoying.
Most disappointing series not published in 2010:
You know when you start a series that's always recced and then go read them and you're like "why is this so hot? It's not that great?" Well, I had a few of those this year. I have to go with Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine. I'm sorry, I just think this series is kind of ridiculous. I was able to put aside some of the flaws in the beginning because the premise is kind of interesting and I liked the characters. However, as I got about halfway through the books, the flaws became harder to ignore, characters didn't change, and plot pretty much got thrown out the window. It's not horrible or anything, it's just that with all the praise it got I was expecting a lot better then what it actually was.
Honorable mentions: House of Nightseries by P.C. and Kristin Cast (wow is this series bad), Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton (don't get me started), Charlie Bone series (Harry Potter rip-off that is dull, dull, dull).

So there you have it. Overall I had a good book year I think. I read more then I did last year, kept more up to date with the new releases, discovered a whole bunch of series to continue with into next year. 2011 looks like it's shaping up to be an excellent year as well. I have so many books I'm excited about I'm not sure where to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment