Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Book Review: The Speaker

TITLE: The Speaker
Book 1 in the Sea of Ink and Gold series
AUTHOR: Traci Chee
CATEGORY: YA
PUBLISHED: November 2017
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: Sefia and Archer continue their journey with a prophecy hanging over their heads....
MY REVIEW: Sequels have a way of making or breaking a series/trilogy. If the sequel is a letdown or just not good....I personally have the tendency to lose interest. Perfect example: Maze Runner. That series started out so well...then books 2 and 3 happened. If your sequel is really good, it might actually renew my interest in your series. For example: Traitor to the Throne from last year. I was not very impressed with Rebel in the Sands when I read it. I almost wasn't going to read the sequel, but I gave it a chance and holy hell did that series improve. I now can't wait for book 3 next year.
I am happy to say the Speaker is more along the lines of Traitor to the Throne. It improved upon the first book. Now, unlike Rebel in the Sands, I did like The Reader a lot. But...it was also a little generic fantasy wise. But this book....damn, this book improved things. It gave backstory to characters. It developed its main characters. It had a fast-moving plot, that did not feel like the author was just wasting our time, before the finale.
This was an excellent sequel. I'm forever sad that this series didn't get more love among Booktube or book bloggers. Alas, this is not the first time I've loved a series no one else cares about. It won't be the last time either.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of The Reader, dark fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five magic books

gif summary of my feelings:


No comments:

Post a Comment