Saturday, January 20, 2018

Book Review: The Book of Dust

TITLE: The Book of Dust
La Belle Sauvage Book 1
AUTHOR: Philip Pullman
PUBLISHED: October 19th, 2017
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: In a prequel to His Dark Materials, Pullman takes us back to when Lyra was first born to show us how her world came to be...
MY REVIEW: So prequels can be a bit hit or miss with me. I don't mind them, if it actually turns out to be necessary to have them. If it's not necessary...just don't do it, okay? The Book of Dust....I don't think it was terribly necessary....but I also don't mind it.
This book is mostly helped by the fact that I just love Pullman's His Dark Materials world. Yeah, the books are slow. He's not subtle in his messaging. I don't care, they suit my taste. Whether or not you love this...will honestly just depend on what your feelings about His Dark Materials were. If you loved it, I guarantee you'll like this. If you were ho hum or just plain hated it...you probably weren't interested in this book to begin with.
I liked it, but I confess the one I'm really waiting for is the sequel. The sequel is going to take place ten years after the ending of the trilogy and give us adult Lyra. THAT'S what I want in my heart of hearts. I liked Malcolm, I did. But give me more Lyra please, author. She's a large part of the reason I adored His Dark Materials. She's what I'm here for.
WHO SHOULD READ: His Dark Materials fans, those who don't mind slow fantasy books
MY RATING: Four out of Five fantasy worlds I love

No comments:

Post a Comment