Sunday, January 14, 2018

Notable Releases: 1/7-1/13

Here are this past week's notable releases. I'm hoping to get back into the swing of reviewing regularly this week. Last few weeks have been rather busy.

YA/MG

Unearthed Book 1: Unearthed by Amie Kaufman

I really enjoy Amie Kaufman's books. She has written a solo series (These Broken Stars) and has co-written others (Illuminae series for one) and they've been pretty solid. This one looks just as interesting as her other stuff.





Beneath the Haunting Sea by Joanna Ruth Meyer

Fantasy that looks rather interesting. It's promising sea goddesses, sad angsty boys, magic and all sorts of other things that are right up my alley. Also, the cover gets my pick for best strategically placed dress on a cover.

Nice Try, Jane Sinner by Lianne Oelke

Contemporary book that has been getting lots of buzz. Remember back when I used to say contemporary is no longer my thing? Yeah...I don't think I can say this anymore, especially as a whole bunch of my favorites from last year were contemporary. Have I mentioned you guys should read The Hate U Give? Because you should read The Hate U Give, if you haven't already.




Adult Fiction

The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin

This book has been everywhere so I'm sure if you're in the internet book world, you know about it. I've been hearing really good things.







Gnomon by Nick Harkaway

This one promises me a dystopian mystery. I'm into stuff like that so I'll give it a look.


The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen

This week's thriller offering. I'm already seeing a lot of buzz around this that reminds me of the buzz around other January thrillers like The Girl on the Train. I'm going to guess we're probably going to get a movie soon.

Wayward Children Book 3: Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire

My favorite series continues. I can't wait to read this one.







Perveen Mystery Book 1: The Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey

This book interested me with its promise of 1920s mystery, it had me when it said it was set in Bombay. Yay for historical fiction set outside the US/UK for a change.

The English Wife by Lauren Willig

Historical Fiction book that looks rather interesting. It promises gilded age family drama with murder and secrets.







Robots VS Fairies by various authors

First of many interesting looking short story collections out this year. This one has a bunch of heavy hitters from the SFF genre: John Scalzi, Seanan McGuire, Ken Liu etc.






Non-Fiction

Tell Me More: Stories About the 12 Hardest Things I'm Learning to Say by Kelly Corrigan

I've been having a weakness for essay/memoir type books lately. This one has been getting buzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment