Monday, January 15, 2018

Book Review: Who Fears Death

TITLE: Who Fears Death
AUTHOR: Nnedi Okorafor
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Fantasy/Dystopian
PREMISE: A girl discovers she has magic gifts and trains to eventually help save her people...
MY REVIEW: Nnedi Okorafor has been on my radar for some time. I just never really got to her until now and I have to say...I get it. I get why she's a thing. Her books are different. I know you're thinking "really? Because that premise sounds pretty generic to me".
But this book took the whole magical chosen one idea and kind of skewed it. It's much darker then most chosen one stories (which is probably why George R. R. Martin wants to adapt it for TV, this is totally his kind of thing). I will warn: there is rape in this story. There is threat of rape, there is violence, there are dark things in this. But it's all told wonderfully (and frankly handles the rape better then Game of Thrones does). Characters are interesting, and it's a very absorbing sort of book. But what really sold me was the ending. I was not expecting that ending at all. It's nice when authors surprise me.
So yeah, I am definitely a fan of this. I'd watch the TV show, but I don't have an HBO subscription. So, sorry in advance, TV show producers. But, I at least have a nice catalog of Okorafor's past books to go through, in place of that. I say this one was a great way to start off 2018.
WHO SHOULD READ: Game of Thrones fans, dark fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five surprise endings

No comments:

Post a Comment