Monday, February 5, 2018

Book Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses

TITLE: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Book 1 in the Thorns and Roses series
AUTHOR: Sarah J. Maas
PUBLISHED: 2015
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy, Faeries, Retellings
PREMISE: In a loosely inspired retelling of Beauty and the Beast, a girl agrees to go to a kingdom of faeries where she is the only human after killing a fae...
MY REVIEW: I know what you all are thinking: you haven't read this yet????!!!! No. I didn't until now. See, I had read Throne of Glass way back when it first came out. I...was frankly not very impressed. Other people did not feel the same and it's a big hit. What can you do? So I never really had any desire to read this series. But....I saw this in the library and...I don't know I just felt a sudden desire to read it. So I did.
I have...mixed feelings. Much like I did with Throne of Glass. On one hand, I do definitely see improvement from Throne of Glass. I like when authors improve. It is actually a different series so she's trying new stuff, which is another thing I like. On the other hand....like Throne of Glass...I find it a bit generic. Beauty and the Beast fantasy retellings have been done. Lots of times. I can name you several of my favorites. This didn't really do anything unique or original with the fae. I didn't particularly see anything mind-blowing to be honest. The characters were okay, the romance....didn't really blow me away to be honest, and the plot was average.
I don't think it's bad. I'm just...puzzled about the attachment people seem to have with this series, because to me it was the same old, same old. But....I also thought that about Throne of Glass so who knows? The hype machine is weird about what it attaches itself too. I did kind of at least like this though. I'm not in love with it, like others are...but unlike Throne of Glass, there's a good chance I'll continue on with this series.
WHO SHOULD READ: Throne of Glass fans, faerie fans, retelling fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five sexy fae

Gif summary of feelings:


No comments:

Post a Comment