Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Book Review: Before the Fall

TITLE: Before the Fall
AUTHOR: Noah Hawley
CATEGORY: Adult
PUBLISHED: 2016
GENRE: Contemporary
PREMISE: After a plane crash, a survivor tries to make sense of what happened and deals with the fallout.
MY REVIEW: I have...very mixed feelings about this one. I picked it up because it promised me a mystery and I love those. Unfortunately, it wasn't really a mystery, it was a character study. Which...okay, I like those too. But if your summary is promising thrilling mystery things, maybe...give that in the book?
Instead of a mystery plot, we get a meandering plot where the author goes into the backstory of every person on the plane. He keeps trying to mislead you into thinking there was some sort of conspiracy, only to later give the most inane reason for the crash at the end. There was a lot of build up, but not really much pay off. I would be fine with no mystery if there was at least some sort of thing the author was trying to say. But it was kind of like the author was going out of his way not to say anything. Especially anything political. Which was weird considering how much politics got brought up. Every time I thought maybe he was trying to make a point about something, he would quickly turn around and then back track with something. Basically, he was trying his best not be conservative or liberal. Which...okay. You don't want to tie yourself to a political party, that's up to you. But if you're unwilling to say anything about your ideas on politics...maybe don't bring up politics. Just a thought.
If you want a character study book, I suppose this does the trick. It's just that's not what I picked this book up for. So I was a bit disappointed in it. Writing was okay, but honestly, this was mostly a bit of a let down for me.
WHO SHOULD READ: those that like character study books
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five wandering plots

No comments:

Post a Comment