Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Book Review: Scythe

TITLE: Scythe
Book 1 in the Arc of Scythe series
AUTHOR: Neal Shusterman
PUBLISHED: November 2016
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian
PREMISE: In a dystopian future, people have found a way to not die. Two kids become an apprentice to a Scythe: a being who is the only person in the world who can kill people to keep the population down.
MY REVIEW: Neal Shusterman is one of those authors who I have been meaning to read for awhile now. There's no reason I haven't picked up his books yet. It just didn't happen until now. Now that I've read Scythe...I get why he's a thing.
I'll be honest, his writing style isn't much to write home about. I also don't think much of the forced romance in here. But everything else from the plot, to the characters, to the interesting premise that was used effectively to talk about humanity and the way we deal with things....that was great. It was also very twisty and kept you guessing until the end.
Is it a tad over-the-top in places? Maybe. But I say it's better to be over the top. Better to be over the top then just plain boring. This book was definitely not boring. The end was a good place to leave off and I can't wait to read the sequel which came out a few months ago.
WHO SHOULD READ: Dystopian fans, Neal Shusterman fans, those who like action books
MY RATING: Four out of Five reapers

Gif summary of feelings:


No comments:

Post a Comment