Sunday, April 30, 2017

Book to Movie/TV Adaptations for 2017 Part 3: May and June

Note: last time I said the Wonder movie was coming out in April because that was what all the info said. Turns out, tricky Hollywood execs of some sort decided to push the movie's release date to November. Either they're trying to get more of the Holiday shopper crowd money or they're trying to dangle it for Oscar bait. That's my only explanation.

Here are all the releases from May and June this year (that I am aware of, so I may miss some):

May 2017

Guardians of the Galaxy Modern Series by various authors

On May 5, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 hits and I for one am pumped. I need more Baby Groot. There's plenty of Guardians of the Galaxy comics to choose from, I personally recommend starting with the modern series run.






Once and Future King Book 1: The Sword and the Stone by T. H. White

Okay from what I can see King Arthur: Legend of the Sword isn't based on really any of the Arthurian myths and legends. But it does deal with Excalibur and what not so I say, go and read The Sword and the Stone. Legend of the Sword is out May 12



Anne Book 1: Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

Also out on May 12 is a Netflix series based on the Anne of Green Gables series, a series I was very fond of as a kid, you can bet your capped sleeves I'm going to watch it.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book 9: The Long Haul by Jeff Kinney

We appear to be skipping books in the Wimpy Kid movie series, because I'm pretty sure there's only been three of the films so far. But hey, whatever works. The latest Wimpy Kid movie comes your way May 19th.





Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Another adaptation coming out May 19th is this cute contemporary romance by Nicola Yoon that should appeal to fans of The Fault in Our Stars.






Wakefield by E. L. Doctorow

Another May 19th film is based on a short story by the same author of Ragtime.







Still Star-Crossed by Melissa Taub

I don't know if anyone actually remembers this Romeo and Juliet sequel from back in 2013. But it's apparently going to be a show from Shonda Rhimes on ABC starting May 29th.






June

Wonder Woman by various authors

Finally, FINALLY, we are getting a Wonder Woman movie, out June 6th. I sincerely hope this one is good and was worth the damn wait. I recommend trying the New 52 start and going from there. Also recommend picking The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore to give you more insight into her creator (and it's apparently going to be a biopic soon).




Captain Underpants Book 1: The Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey

Also out June 6th, an animated movie based on this middle-grade series.






My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier

Out June 9th, a creepy movie based around this 1950s gothic novel.







The Beguiled by Thomas Cullinan

The Beguiled, the latest film by Sofia Coppola (out June 23rd), is a remake of a film that was based around this 1970s gothic novel.






No comments:

Post a Comment