Friday, April 7, 2017

Book Review: Another Brooklyn

TITLE: Another Brooklyn
AUTHOR: Jacqueline Woodson
PUBLISHED: August 2016
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Realistic Fiction
PREMISE: A woman recalls her years growing up in Brooklyn as a teenager.
MY REVIEW: So I'm late to the Jacqueline Woodson game, I only read Brown Girl Dreaming last year and from what I can see she's been around long before that and honest, I can see why. Her writing is just gorgeous. Plus, she jumps between styles and that's not something a lot of authors can do.
This book honestly reminded me a lot of Brown Girl Dreaming. It just dealt with more adult topics such as pregnancy. The friendship in this book is honest and wonderfully developed. It is also a very fast read. For some reason I thought it was a long one, but it's actually less than two hundred pages.
Plot wise...it's a bit all over the place. It's got a very dream slice of life sort of feeling. I can take or leave that sort of story. But overall, this book was very well done. As with Bell Jar, I believe this can fall in either the YA or Adult category. If you're a YA contemporary reader, this one should please you.
WHO SHOULD READ: literature fans, fans of Brown Girl Dreaming
MY RATING: Four out of Five changing neighborhoods

No comments:

Post a Comment