Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: The Best Books I Read in 2015

This is a weekly meme hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic: Best Books I Read in 2015

I discovered many awesome books this year. This list was very hard to narrow down, in some cases I outright cheated and included the whole series. I'm also going to cheat further and include books that didn't make the list. I'm a rebel that way.

1) I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

This was my first foray into both biography and audiobook. It was definitely a good choice on my part. I'm now a little hooked on both things.







2) Heroes of Olympus series Book 2-5 by Rick Riordan

Once upon a time when it first came out, I read The Lost Hero. I loved it. But I failed to keep up on the rest of the series. Magnus Chase coming out reminded me of that failing, so I have been basically inhaling all of these books for the past two months. It's been a delight. Magnus Chase will likely have to wait till January though.


3) Thursday Next series Books 1-3 by Jasper Fforde

One of my favorite series discoveries this year was the Thursday Next series. If you are a lover of books, you need to read this series now. Especially if you love fantasy and classics.






4) The Others Book 1: Written in Red by Anne Bishop

I've been meaning to read Anne Bishop for years now. This is my first try and considering how much I loved this one, it won't be my last Bishop book for sure.





5) Vivian Apple Books 1 and 2 by Katie Coyle

Dystopians are a dime a dozen nowadays. This series reminded me of why I first loved the genre. Sadly it looks as though we're just getting two books.







6) Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Like Bishop, I've been meaning to read this author for years. This book was an utter delight and I'm definitely checking out her Temeraire series now.







7) The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

So meta. I was grinning knowingly throughout this book and enjoyed every minute of it.







8) Kindred by Octavia Butler

If you haven't read Butler before, you really should.








9) Jackaby series by William Ritter

I don't understand why all of YA is not gushing over these books.








10) Bad Feminist Roxanne Gay

My first foray into essays and I loved the hell out of it.










Honorable mentions that only didn't make the list because I read a lot of awesome stuff this year:

Raven Cycle Book 3: Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater
Magisterium Books 1 and 2 by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare
Embassy Row Book 1: All Fall Down by Ally Carter
Finishing School Books 3 and 4 and Prudence by Gail Carriger
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black
Cormoran Strike Book 2: The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith
I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
A lot of Jane Austen
The rest of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series
Peter Grant Book 5: Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovich
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

and honestly I'm just going to stop now, we'll be here all day otherwise. I'll be doing my year end lists anyway so I'll get a shout out to all my favs then.

No comments:

Post a Comment